Samuel St-Jean is a litigator in our Commercial Litigation Group. His practice focuses on construction law, real estate and business law.
Samuel represents individuals and corporations before the various judicial and administrative bodies in Quebec, such as the Court of Quebec, the Superior Court, and the Tribunal administratif du logement. He also assists many small and medium-sized businesses with their legal needs, whether they are incorporating, restructuring, or dissolving, in addition to drafting and reviewing their contracts.
Prior to his law studies, Samuel developed practical experience in the construction industry, working for his family’s business, a well-known general contractor operating in the Laurentian region, north of Montréal. This experience allows him to quickly understand the issues related to the construction files that are entrusted to him, and to submit pragmatic solutions to his clients.
- Contractual claims for cost overruns;
- Registration and cancellation of legal hypothec;
- Defense against allegations of defects or deficiencies;
- Drafting and review of service contracts, contracts of enterprise, subcontracts, supply contracts, or construction management contracts.
- Obtaining safeguard orders to gain access to accounting, financial and operational information for the benefit of minority shareholders excluded from the administration and operations of private companies;
- Obtaining safeguard orders to prevent majority shareholders from appropriating and misappropriating corporate assets for their personal benefit.
- Obtained safeguard and injunction orders to stop disturbances caused by the construction of a condo tower on a neighbouring property;
- Action to execute title;
- Representation of landlords before the Tribunal administratif du logement (formerly the Régie du logement);
- Claims for unpaid rent;
- Termination of a commercial lease following the default of the tenant.
- Involvement in an important case regarding the applicability of the Environmental Quality Act in the context of the construction of an airport.
Young Bar of Montreal – Information Technology Committee
Canadian Bar Association – Construction and Infrastructure Law Section
Bachelor of Law, University of Montréal, 2016
Call to Bar