Pierre Brossoit is a Partner, Arbitrator and Mediator accredited by the Institut de médiation et d’arbitrage du Québec (IMAQ) in our Insurance Law Practice Group. His practice focuses primarily on arbitration and mediation while continuing to act as a litigator.
He is regularly retained by law firms to act as arbitrator in various private litigation matters related to complex, high-stakes cases. Business clients appreciate his rich experience and consult him for strategic advice or to review, interpret and negotiate commercial agreements.
In 2019, he was appointed as one of the 13 Experts authorized to rule on contested claims filed by contractors and sub-contractors pending the completion of construction contracts with the Quebec Government.
His diversified experience allows Pierre Brossoit to respond assuredly and rapidly to a variety of situations:
- acting, for plaintiff or defendant, in emergency proceedings such as injunctions, applications for safeguard orders and seizures before judgment;
- filing complex claims in areas such as construction and real estate;
- representing businesses and institutions in their defence against class actions;
- preparing and pleading lengthy cases;
- setting the stage for the negotiation of amicable settlements.
For instance, Pierre Brossoit:
- provides counsel and judicial representation to passenger transportation companies;
- assists a major Quebec real estate financing player in setting up and implementing real estate projects;
- represents plaintiffs and defendants alike, in major and complex claims related to construction;
- advises contractors and cities on all aspects related to call for tenders;
- appears on behalf of education institutions in injunctions or claims arising from allegations of discrimination and responsibility towards students.
More specifically, Pierre Brossoit recently acted as lead counsel in major class actions, representing:
- the Autorité régionale de transport métropolitain (ARTM), against a claim based on alleged failures to provide the scheduled commuter train service on the Deux-Montagnes and Mascouche lines;
- the ARTM, against a claim based on the annoyance allegedly suffered by users due to the interruptions of the commuter train service caused by the construction of the Réseau express métropolitain (REM);
- the Association des optométristes du Québec, against a claim based on alleged illegal invoicing for services already insured by the Régie d’assurance maladie du Québec;
- Camso Inc., against a claim based on the alleged default (premature failure) of a part used on some snowmobiles.
As an accredited arbitrator, Pierre Brossoit is a member of the Groupe d’arbitrage — Juste décision (GAJD), specializing in alternative dispute resolution methods such as mediation and arbitration.
He has frequently sat as an arbitrator, especially in cases arising from Quebec’s guarantee plan for new residential buildings. His decisions are available on GAJD’s website, at <www.gajdarbitrage.ca>.
Listed in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada under Alternative Dispute Resolution
Bar of Quebec: member of the Arbitration committee on advocates’ fee invoices (2015–)
Bar of Quebec: member of the Discipline committee (2000–2010)
Bar of Montréal: chairman for the election of the bâtonnier and council members (2004–2005)
Institut de médiation et d’arbitrage du Québec (IMAQ)
Accredited mediator and arbitrator, British Columbia Commercial Arbitration Centre
Publications and Conferences
École du Barreau du Québec: lecturer (2004–2005)
Vimy Foundation: director (2014–2017)
Mont-Royal / Outremont Minor Hockey Association: Manager for Novice, Atom and Peewee level teams (2010–2016)
Licentiate of Laws (LL.L.), University of Ottawa, 1986
Call to Bar