Katherine Delage’s practice includes professional liability, insurance law, civil litigation, directors’ and officers’ liability, and product liability, as well as negligence and product liability issues.
Over the years, Katherine also developed special skills on coverage issues and various insurers regularly request her to issues opinion on this matter.
Professional liability — Defended a firm of tax lawyers and obtained the dismissal of a claim for over $50 million for alleged negligence in corporate structuring and tax planning transactions. This decision was affirmed by the Supreme Court of Canada in December, 2018.
Fonds d’assurance responsabilité professionnelle du Barreau du Québec — Repeatedly retained by the Quebec Bar’s malpractice insurance fund to defend lawyers against professional liability claims
Opinion drafting — Analysing insurance policies and drafting opinions on the insurers’ duty to defend and indemnify in commercial, professional, D&O, crime, theft and embezzlement insurance matters as well as in property insurance
Montréal Olympic Stadium roof — Representing an insurer and its insured in a claim against engineering firms and the Régie des installations olympiques (Stadium’s operator) following the collapse of the Stadium’s roof
Investment losses — Representing an insurer and a bank in complex litigation launched by several investors after the collapse of their investments
Directors and officers — Defending against claims raising civil or statutory liability
Product liability — Defending insurers, manufacturers and retailers against claims involving allegedly faulty products
Hospital liability — Defending health and social services institutions against claims by patients
Health care practice — Representing health institutions and organizations in cases raising doctors’ and nurses’ practice rights and privileges
Claims for indemnity — Representing insurers sued for failure to pay indemnities
Bar of Montréal: member of the Focus Group on the reform of the Insurance Act
Publications and Conferences
Katherine is coauthor of several conferences on insurance topics, such as:
- “La responsabilité des administrateurs et des membres de la direction” (D&O Liability), Federated Press, October 2009
- “Les réclamations contre les administrateurs et dirigeants : étendue de la couverture et dernières tendances” (Claims against D&Os: scope of coverage and recent issues), Canadian Institute, April 2004
- “L’impact des fausses déclarations à l’assureur” (The impact of false statements to insurers), Canadian Institute, June 2003
- “Les moisissures et l’exclusion pour pollution” (Mildew and the exclusion of pollution-related damage), Insight, April 2003
- “Mise-à-jour sur les assurances en matière de construction” (Update on construction insurance), Insight, November 2001
Sommets sur le fleuve co-owners’ syndicate: director (2014–)
Bachelor of civil law, Laval University, 1996
Call to Bar