Direct line from Montréal:
T 514 393-7468
F 514 878-1865
Frédéric Savard-Scott is a litigator in our Insurance Law Practice Group. He is also the coordinator of our Saint-Jérôme office, having launched its activities in the spring of 2018 before leading its expansion into new premises in February 2019. His practice focuses on municipal liability as well as general torts, commercial and professional liability.
He represents mainly Canadian and foreign insurers, acting for defendants and plaintiffs alike, in subrogation matters and in cases where insurance coverage is an issue.
His clients also include self-insured parties.
In addition to his major litigation practice, Mr. Savard-Scott also developed remarkable ability to discover and develop the possibilities of settling disputes through negotiation, especially in cases involving numerous parties and stakeholders.
Liability of elected municipal officers — Defending officers against a claim for some $1.8M based on their alleged interference in a municipality’s administrative process. Ferme Carignan inc. c. Marquès, 2016 QCCA 1377
Failure to flag dangerous areas on a riverbank — Defending a public body against a claim following a drowning that would have been caused by faulty development of the riverbank. Sloutsky c. Régie intermunicipale du Parc régional de la Rivière-du-Nord, 2014 QCCS 1753
Appraisal of damages caused by the roots of a willow — Defending the owner of a willow, the roots of which had damaged a neighbour’s house; file that raised special questions on the appraisal of damages. Dumoulin c. Assurances générales des Caisses Desjardins inc., 2013 QCCA 1095
Impact of an insurance clause on the right to subrogation — Representing an insurer in a subrogation claim when the person allegedly responsible for the damage was compelled to insure the victim’s property. Axa Assurances inc. c. Club de golf Summerlea inc., 2013 QCCA 708
Libel — Defending a mayor against a libel claim. Perkins c. Demers, 2012 QCCS 5777
Faulty management of a waterway — Defending a regional county municipality against a claim by a farm producer who claimed that the municipality’s faulty management had damaged his harvest. Lacombe c. Autray (MRC d’), 2010 QCCS 5601
Canadian Bar Association, Quebec Division — Member of the Executive Committee of the Insurance and Civil Litigation Section
Chambre de commerce et d’industrie de Saint-Jérôme
Chambre de l’assurance de dommages: certified instructor
Quebec Risk and Insurance Management Association
Honorable Order of the Blue Goose International
Publications and Conferences
Mr. Savard-Scott is a regular speaker for associations of insurance brokers, claims adjusters and lawyers. Themes of recent talks include:
- “Vices cachés et couverture d’assurance: jurisprudence récente”
- “L’évaluation des dommages résultant de blessures corporelles”
- “Éléments essentiels à obtenir pour optimiser les chances de succès dans le cadre d’un dossier de recouvrement suite à un incendie”
He has also coauthored several articles in the newsletter of the Association des experts en sinistres indépendants du Québec:
- “L’interrogatoire préalable de l’expert en sinistres: quelles en sont les limites?” (September 2016)
- “L’appel en garantie du fabricant par le vendeur professionnel et la dénonciation” (August 2014)
- “L’étendue de l’obligation de réparation de l’assureur” (October 2013)
- “La clause d’exclusion ‘personne vivant sous votre toit’ en assurance responsabilité : une interprétation récente de la Cour supérieure du Québec” (March 2013)
- “Les fortes pluies et les réseaux d’égouts pluviaux” (November 2011)
- “Le créancier hypothécaire qui omet de divulguer un fait à l’assureur pourrait ne pas être indemnisé en cas de sinistre” (March 2011)
- “La souffrance résultant de la perte d’un être cher: la Cour supérieure accorde d’importantes indemnités” (September 2010)
Fondation Académie Lafontaine (organization focused on youth assistance and development): director
For many years now, Mr. Savard-Scott has been supporting organizations promoting sports to children and teenagers.
Bachelor of Laws, University of Montréal, 1999
Call to Bar