Chantal Noël is an associate in our Insurance Law Practice Group. Her practice focuses primarily on legal research and civil liability cases where the firm has been appointed to represent insureds in defense. Her work led her to analyze insurance policies for coverage and duty to defend.
Before specializing in legal research, Chantal Noël practiced law in various legal fields. She frequently made representations before administrative tribunals and the various chambers of the Superior Court (civil, family and commercial). This experience contributes today to her ability to identify the pertinent legal arguments as well as the needs of RSS’ litigators.
Chantal Noël also developed extensive experience in legal research. In addition to mastering Quebec, Canadian and international legal databases, she manages databases that she developed within the firm. In addition, she ensures studying all aspects of litigation in order to properly advise clients on their chances of success, as well as to properly inform the Courts that have to decide on the questions in issue.
Chantal Noël currently works on the following types of files:
- Analysis of insurance coverage, including property insurance, liability insurance, errors and omissions policies, builders risk insurance policy, commercial general liability insurance policies — CGL: pre-contractual representations, coverage, exclusion clauses, general conditions of insurance policies, duty to defend
- Arson: quality and burden of proof of the insurers
- Product liability: latent defects, legal and contractual guarantees, product safety, Consumer Protection Act
- Municipal liability : sewer backup, firefighters’ negligence
- Liability of various parties in the construction industry: contractors, subcontractors and professionals
- Professional liability: engineers, lawyers and others
- Assessment of damages for bodily injuries and loss resulting from death: loss of income, non-pecuniary damages (loss of enjoyment of life and functional limitation) and solatium doloris
Publications and Conferences
Coauthor, with Jennifer Hansen, “COVID-19 et pertes liées à l’interruption des affaires : la couverture d’assurance en temps de pandémie”, Développements récents en droit des assurances, Service de la formation continue du Barreau du Québec, 2020, p 103
In 2017, Chantal Noël conducted the review that led to the new edition of Residential Insurance Policies, Annotated, published by Éditions Yvon Blais.
Since 1996, she has been in charge of the biannual updates of that manual, as well as Commercial Insurance Policies, Annotated, also at Éditions Yvon Blais. Both manuals were originally authored by RSS lawyers.
She also wrote numerous newsletters and is a contributing editor of several texts for training sessions and lectures presented by colleagues.
Bachelor of Laws, University of Sherbrooke
Call to Bar