Andrew Penhale was a litigator with our Insurance Law Group for a number of years. He then left the firm for seven years, to head the Claims Department of the Professional Liability Insurance Fund of the Barreau du Québec.
While with RSS, he focused his practice on matters of professional liability of legal professionals, the field in which he was active with the Insurance Fund. Cases handled by the Fund under his direction have contributed to shaping the responsibility of professionals in Quebec as we know it today. His practice with RSS also included the variety of cases related to insurance, such as sports accidents, floods and infiltrations or equipment breakdowns.
Drawing from his experience with the practice of law and the management of the Fund’s team of professionals, as well as his business administration education, Andrew became Managing Partner of RSS on January 1, 2020.
Listed in the 2022 edition of Best Lawyers in Canada under Professional Malpractice Law
Quebec Bar Foundation: Governor (2013–)
Publications and Conferences
As the firm’s Managing Partner, Andrew fosters continuing education within the firm. For instance, he has led workshops on Legal Project Management.
While he was with the Fund, Andrew gave numerous presentations before groups of lawyers, on topics such as:
- La relation avocats et assureurs, les attentes du client et les tendances à moyen terme, 2016
- La responsabilité professionnelle, s’adapter aux changements, 2016
- Le défi de l’avocat face aux personnalités difficiles, September 2016
- Assurer l’avenir de votre pratique : tout un défi, 2015
- Le cybercrime : gare aux vautours, 2015
- Prévenir les erreurs : une pratique responsable, 2012
- Vivre et faire des affaires à l’étranger, July 2012
- Juridiction et règlements différents, mais les mêmes responsabilités, June 2012
- La protection de l’avocat en entreprise, June 2012
Enjeux et défis de la « gouvernance créatrice de valeurs® », École des dirigeants HEC Montréal, 2016
Certification in Leadership and Management, Institut de leadership en gestion, 2014
Bachelor of Laws, University of Sherbrooke, 1996
Bachelor of Business Administration, major in accounting, Bishop’s University, 1993
Call to Bar